Blog Intoduction

Over 3 years has passed, almost to the day, since we left Costa Rica. The Wilson's are now on a new journey for 10 weeks...this time to Nairobi, Kenya. We'd love to have you journey with us.

-The Wilson Family

Sign up to receive an email with new posts

Sunday, November 15, 2015

A Birthday Gift on My Door


I heard the pulling and cutting of tape, a not-so quiet whisper and the scurrying outside my door. A sweetness filled my heart. One thing occupied the mind of my tender-hearted Seth on that particular day, to decorate my door for my birthday.

Years ago we started a special birthday tradition in our family. The night before the birthday, we decorate the person's door so right when they wake up in the morning they feel celebrated and loved.

On this day, my 39th birthday, the act is particularly sweet- it's the first time anyone has ever done it for me.
In the midst of so much change, Seth found a strand that carries us through time and place. He found an act that communicates we are family and "home" no matter where we lay our heads at night.

This is part of the beauty of family rituals. Some rituals provide a rhythm to life. Some are markers that break up one day so seamlessly going into the next. I find it fascinating how over time they build into our identity and sense of belonging. They communicate, "This is part of what it means to be a Wilson".

Five days later, with very droopy eyes, Kyle stayed up late to help me with a Costa Rica themed birthday decoration for Seth. He woke up to 7 pictures of Costa Rican animals, 7 compliments, 7 leaf rubbings from our backyard, and a picture of a cake with 7 candles on it made by Joel.

In this new place, we are creating new rhythms and markers, but we are also resting our feet on firmly planted ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment